10.31.14 / Posters By The Gross
Richard Niessen of Holland’s Niessen and de Vries is a master poster designer. His posters were recently displayed in an exhibition ‘A Hermetic Compendium of Typographic Masonry,’ which has given birth to a book, the topic of my conversation with him today.
What triggered this volume?
There are 26 serigraphs—how did you determine how to present them?
Your posters have a vital kinetic quality. Typographically, what do you want to impart to a viewer?
There is also an “anti-design” aspect to the work, clearly rooted in the history of design but at the same time rebelling against it. Would you agree with that assessment?
Where do you position yourself and your work in the continuum of design?
Don’t Miss the Poster Design Awards
• Subscribe today and get 6 issues for $40 — save 57% off the newsstand price
• Are You a Design VIP? Join today and get Print and HOW for one low price!
• The PANTONE PLUS SERIES SOLID COLOR Set offers graphic designers, pre-press professionals and printers 1,755 solid color choices — including 644 new colors added since 2010, with 84 colors added just this year — in both fan guide and chips formats. Use fan guides to select, specify and match color, and attach tear-out chips to artwork and digital files for easy and consistent color communication. Lowest prices + free U.S. shipping on all Pantone!
• Most companies use their website as a static, informational only site, but what if you could create a website that helps your bottom dollar? Learn how to transform your website from an expense into a measurable source of income in this 1-hour webcast.
• When: November 6, 2014
• Time: 1pm - 2pm ET (1 hour)
• PRINT Typography & Lettering Awards - Allow your type to sing - See more at: http://www.printmag.com/design-competitions/print-typography-lettering-awards/
• HOW Interactive Design Conference - Nov. 17-19 at San Francisco - Register Now!
PREVIOUSLY ON THE DAILY HELLER
The Billboard Extravagance
Ivan Chermayeff’s Stamp Collection
Snakes on a Virus
Previously on heller goes here
CURRENTLY ON IMPRINT
• New Design Competition: Print’s Typography and Lettering Awards
• Best Book Covers: Penguin Drop Caps
• Like, OHMIGOD! A Totally Bitchin’ Valley Art Show
is the co-founder and the co-chair of the MFA Designer as Author program at the School of Visual Arts. He writes the Visuals column for the New York Times Book Review and the Graphic Content blog for T-Style. He is the author, coauthor, and/or editor of more than 120 books on design and popular culture, including the recent book Born Modern: The Life and Design of Alvin Lustig (Chronicle).