3.29.17 / Pulping Bodoni
Pulp is the “quarterly journal of people and paper,” published for customers and clients of the Italian paper company Fedrigoni. Edited by John L. Walters of Eye magazine, it is also a stunning piece of graphic design culture that covers contemporary work and historical legacy.
Pulp is available in two editions: Italian/English and French/Spanish, produced by the London-based team of Eye magazine. The current issue is on the history of Bodoni as a classic that has undergone many transformations. My own contribution to the issue is on Bodoni in New York and how it has defined fashion and elegance for decades in Manhattan.
Fedrigoni is based in Verona, where Giuseppe Antonio Fedrigoni established the company’s first paper mill in 1888. The organization now has offices throughout Europe, South America, the Far East and Oceania. Follow Pulp on Twitter, or pick up a copy online at Fabriano Boutique.
Enter the most respected competition in graphic design—now open to both pros and students—for a chance to have your work published, win a pass to HOW Design Live, and more. 2017 Judges: Aaron Draplin / Jessica Hische / Pum Lefebure / Ellen Lupton / Eddie Opara / Paula Scher. Student work judges: PRINT editorial & creative director Debbie Millman and PRINT editor-in-chief Zachary Petit.
• Subscribe today and get one year for only $40 — save 57% off the newsstand price
• Are You a Design VIP? Join today and get Print and HOW for one low price!
• With Designing the Editorial Experience by Sue Apfelbaum and Juliette Cezzar, discover what it means to design for multiple media, and gather advice from professionals in both the design and editorial fields in order to decide which mediums best suit your various design needs. Plus, get editorial design inspiration from examples of the best in the field being created today. Explore the audiences for content, what forms the content takes, how workflows are managed, and more.
• Earn a Certificate in Branding: In this Branding Certificate, not only will you master the branding process, but you will also learn how to talk to clients about branding and how to position yourself as a branding expert.
• Register today
• PRINT Regional Design Awards. Early-Bird deadline is March 1, 2017. Details at http://www.printmag.com/design-competitions/regional-design-annual/
• HOW Design Live - Join us in Chicago in May 2017! www.howdesignlive.com
PREVIOUSLY ON THE DAILY HELLER
The Dean of Design
Weekend Heller: Ich Bin ein Fanta
Previously on heller goes here
CURRENTLY ON IMPRINT
• Data Humanism: The Revolutionary Future of Data Visualization
• The Regional Design Awards Winners
• Magazine Covers by Famous Artists: Dali, Picasso, Braque & More
is the co-founder and the co-chair of the MFA Designer as Author program at the School of Visual Arts. He writes the Visuals column for the New York Times Book Review and the Graphic Content blog for T-Style. He is the author, coauthor, and/or editor of more than 120 books on design and popular culture, including the recent book Born Modern: The Life and Design of Alvin Lustig (Chronicle).