10.7.15 / The Allure of Philodendron
In its forthcoming exhibition spectacular, Philodendron, “a sprawling exhibition that charts the migration of tropical plants from their native habitats to North American and European gardens and interiors,” The Wolfsonian Museum in Miami Beach traces this stylish and ubiquitous house plant. The opening is Oct. 15.
Curated by Christian Larsen, the exhibit covers three centuries and draws together objects from the Amazon, Caribbean and beyond. “The survey explores this often-overlooked, Pan-American cultural exchange to deconstruct the ‘social lives’ of the plants, from their influence on material culture to their impact on diverse fields ranging from the visual arts, architecture, film and fashion to the agricultural, industrial and medical sciences.
“By following the philodendron from the jungle to the home, the exhibition illustrates the myriad ways the plant shaped Western ideas of the tropics—becoming an evolving symbol for what is exotic, Latin and modern. Philodendron includes objects created by indigenous Amazonian peoples; botanical drawings by Heinrich Schott, who first classified hundreds of philodendron species; and works by such artists and designers as Henri Matisse, Roberto Burle-Marx, Paulo Werneck and Erdem.”
Do you design your own typefaces? Have you created stunning type-centric design work? Have you produced a gorgeous handlettered project? If so, we want to see your work. All too often, typeface designs, typographic designs and handlettering get overlooked in competitions—which is why Print developed a competition that gives the artforms their full due and recognizes the best designers in each category. Enter Print’s Typography & Lettering Awards today.
• Subscribe today and get one year for only $40 — save 57% off the newsstand price
• Are You a Design VIP? Join today and get Print and HOW for one low price!
• The PANTONE PLUS SERIES SOLID COLOR Set offers graphic designers, pre-press professionals and printers 1,755 solid color choices — including 644 new colors added since 2010, with 84 colors added just this year — in both fan guide and chips formats. Use fan guides to select, specify and match color, and attach tear-out chips to artwork and digital files for easy and consistent color communication. Lowest prices + free U.S. shipping on all Pantone!
• Design Funny: 11 Ways to Punch Up Your Work: Learn to punch up your advertising and design projects with 11 principles of comedy from Heather Bradley. Get inspiration from top design agencies and comedy powerhouses such as The Onion, Comedy Central and Funny Or Die.
• When: Jul 30 @ 1pm ET
• Time: 1 hour
• A compeition for Logo Design - See more at: http://www.howdesign.com/design-competitions/logo-design-awards/
• HOW Interactive Design Conference - Nov. 5-7 at Boston - Register Now
PREVIOUSLY ON THE DAILY HELLER
A Clean Sweep, Design-wise
Mexico’s Two-Way Street
Weekend Heller: Old Book, Fresh Ideas
Previously on heller goes here
CURRENTLY ON IMPRINT
• Skull Art: When Death Covered the Newsstand
• The 2015 RDA: The Industry’s Best Graphic Design Competition
• The Unlikely Beauty That Is Beige
is the co-founder and the co-chair of the MFA Designer as Author program at the School of Visual Arts. He writes the Visuals column for the New York Times Book Review and the Graphic Content blog for T-Style. He is the author, coauthor, and/or editor of more than 120 books on design and popular culture, including the recent book Born Modern: The Life and Design of Alvin Lustig (Chronicle).