7.3.15 / Weekend Daily Heller: Happy 4th
Just in time, while thinking about liberty and freedom, I read a story in Hyperallergic about the newly digitized Joseph A. Labadie Collection at the University of Michigan. This database contains posters that have been acquired over the past 100 years, covering social protest movements such as anarchism, civil liberties, colonialism, communism, ecology, labor, pacifism, sexual freedom, socialism, women, and youth/student protest. Some are from the first half of the 20th century, but the majority are from the 1960s and later. Many are undated.
“It’s not enough for us to preserve the artifact if people cannot see it,” Julie Herrada, Labadie Collection curator, told Hyperallergic. “Posters are a difficult format because they are fragile and can only withstand so much physical handling, so providing access to these materials while keeping them safe is a complicated process—or it was, until the technology and resources became more readily available to us.”
I’ve surfed the collection and the materials are significant documents of political history through the lens of graphics. See more here.
Pantone Plus Series Solid Guide Set
• Subscribe today and get one year for only $40 — save 57% off the newsstand price
• Are You a Design VIP? Join today and get Print and HOW for one low price!
• The PANTONE PLUS SERIES SOLID COLOR Set offers graphic designers, pre-press professionals and printers 1,755 solid color choices — including 644 new colors added since 2010, with 84 colors added just this year — in both fan guide and chips formats. Use fan guides to select, specify and match color, and attach tear-out chips to artwork and digital files for easy and consistent color communication. Lowest prices + free U.S. shipping on all Pantone!
• In this workshop, Bill Carberry will teach you how to integrate Illustrator and Photoshop as well as how to get the most out of Adobe Typekit and the top 3 CC Mobile Apps for iOS.
• When: May 18 @ 1pm ET
• Time: 1 hour
• A compeition for your best wearables - See more at: http://www.printmag.com/design-competitions/wearable-design-awards/
• HOW Interactive Design Conference - Sept. 20-22 at San Francisco CA, Oct. 5-7 at Chicago IL, Nov. 5-7 at Boston - Register Now
PREVIOUSLY ON THE DAILY HELLER
Otl Aicher en Francais
Have You No Sense of Decency, Sir?
Walter Dorwin Teague’s Optimistic Address
Previously on heller goes here
CURRENTLY ON IMPRINT
• Skull Art: When Death Covered the Newsstand
• The 2015 RDA: The Industry’s Best Graphic Design Competition
• The Unlikely Beauty That Is Beige
is the co-founder and the co-chair of the MFA Designer as Author program at the School of Visual Arts. He writes the Visuals column for the New York Times Book Review and the Graphic Content blog for T-Style. He is the author, coauthor, and/or editor of more than 120 books on design and popular culture, including the recent book Born Modern: The Life and Design of Alvin Lustig (Chronicle).