4.18.14 / Weekend Heller: What is Vigital Arts? What is Alternative Printing?
Zimbabwe’s Digital Future
The Zimbabwe Institute of Vigital Arts or ZIVA was founded by Saki Mafundikwa in 1999 as the first school of digital design, new media and visual communication in Zimbabwe. Mafundikwa, a typographer, graphic designer, photographer, filmmaker and recent TED Talks speaker, returned to his country and amidst social and political upheavals managed to found and recently expand ZIVA into a program that galvanizes intrinsic values found in design. Go here to learn more about ZIVA and its fundraising campaign.
Since its birth ZIVA has produced students such as Nontsikelelo Mutiti who received her MFA in design from Yale University, Maxine Chikumbo who now attends Cooper Union, and Christopher Masonga who in 2003 was awarded the Type Director’s Club of New York City’s Scholarship award. ZIVA is sending a new generation of designers and artists onto an arts scene that is in the midst of a 4th generation pop art movement.
Still, dreams accomplished and institutions established require continued support. The goal is $100,000. The funds will be allocated to changing HP laptops to powerful desktop computers, changing Photoshop CS2 to the most current Adobe Suite software, updating technical design manuals to the latest on the market, to expanding faculty, and last but definitely not least, to providing full scholarships to deserving and talented young designers.
+ + + + + + +
Lincoln Cushing and the Countercultural Printshops in San Francisco
Poster and alternative graphics scholar Lincoln Cushing tells the story of counter-cultural print shops — the blogs of the 1960s and ’70s. With a little bit of training, low-cost print machines (think stencils, AB Dick 360 and Multilith 1250) were run by almost anyone and hidden almost anywhere. See the video lecture here.
• Subscribe today and get 6 issues for $40 — save 57% off the newsstand price
• Are You a Design VIP? Join today and get Print and HOW for one low price!
• The PANTONE PLUS SERIES SOLID COLOR Set offers graphic designers, pre-press professionals and printers 1,755 solid color choices — including 644 new colors added since 2010, with 84 colors added just this year — in both fan guide and chips formats. Use fan guides to select, specify and match color, and attach tear-out chips to artwork and digital files for easy and consistent color communication. Lowest prices + free U.S. shipping on all Pantone!
• In this 1-hour webinar, John T. Meyer walks you through the three essential phases of creating a top-notch infographic: data, design and distribute.
• When: April 16, 2014
• Time: 1pm - 2pm ET (1 hour)
• Send us your best designs from 2013. From posters to advertising to web design and more - this competition is the only comprehensive survey of outstanding design throughout the United States.
• HOW Design Live - May 12-16, 2014 - Boston - Sign up now!
PREVIOUSLY ON THE DAILY HELLER
Pharma Mexico is Surreal
A Happy Book About Death
Soviet Literary Pulps
Previously on heller goes here
CURRENTLY ON IMPRINT
• DC Rises: New Design Group, Classic Paper Show
• The Print Celebrates Design Winners
• Legends in Advertising: Bill Bernbach, the Original Don Draper
is the co-founder and the co-chair of the MFA Designer as Author program at the School of Visual Arts. He writes the Visuals column for the New York Times Book Review and the Graphic Content blog for T-Style. He is the author, coauthor, and/or editor of more than 120 books on design and popular culture, including the recent book Born Modern: The Life and Design of Alvin Lustig (Chronicle).