People love to say it: Print, as a medium, is dead. But as 2013 approaches its end, print magazines and publications have survived another year. In fact, according to the 2013/2014 MPA Magazine Media Factbook and “20 Tweetable Truths about Magazine Media 2012,” magazines are thriving. Part of this revival is thanks to digital editions of our favorite reads, but print continues to hold its own. Allow me to blow your mind with some powerful statistics:
- 91% of all adults, 94% of adults under 35 and 96% of adults under 25 read print or digital magazines.
- The top 25 print magazines reach far more adults and teens than the top 25 regularly scheduled primetime TV shows.
- More than 150 print magazine titles have thrived for more than 50 years; only nine TV programs can say the same.
- Consumers spend more than $300 million each month buying magazines at newsstand.
- Magazine readership remains steady despite the biggest economic downturn in 80 years.
You hear that, world? Print is alive and well! You may be relieved to hear something else: Print magazine is also alive and well. Despite a move from New York City to Cincinnati our beloved graphic design publication will continue to deliver all-star commentary on the latest design trends. It’ll offer visual eye candy for inspiration and interviews with creatives that are producing the projects that evoke unadulterated design envy.
We’ve certainly made some changes, but we hope you’ll find they’re for the better. If you’ve missed an issue this year, you’ve missed out on a lot. Thankfully, the Print editorial team has pulled together a compilation of our best content from 2013. Check it out. We hope it’ll convince you to continue supporting Print and the magazine industry at large. After all, Print is one of the 150 titles that have thrived for more than 50 years—and we fully intend to be around for a whole lot more.