What with more than 100 sessions, a better-than-ever Exhibit Hall, and plenty of activities before and after the regular conference day, it’s hard to imagine having much downtime during HOW Design Live this May 4 – 8.
But we will be in Chicago, after all, a city laden with art and architecture, a city whose dynamic food and cocktail scene goes way beyond stuffed pizza.
So you’ll want to make time to explore a bit of what the Windy City has to offer.
A few excellent things to do in Chicago:
- Recruit some conference buddies. Any on-the-street exploration is better done with friends who can share the experience and memories with you.
- Capture what you see. Take a sketchbook to Millennium Park, just around the corner from the Hyatt Regency Chicago, HOW Design Live’s headquarters hotel. Or keep your smartphone camera handy to capture Chicago’s amazing architectural elements, its waterfront scenery and street life.
- Know your neighborhoods. The Grand Hyatt Hotel on East Upper Wacker Drive is in the Loop district of Downtown. River North is immediately north of the Loop. North Chicago neighborhoods known for restaurants and nightlife include Wicker Park/Bucktown, Logan and Lincoln Squares. Neighborhoods are reachable via cab or Uber.
- Catch a ballgame. The Chicago Cubs are out of town during the conference, but their Southside compatriots, the Chicago White Sox, are at home vs. the Detroit Tigers; Tuesday, May 5 is fireworks night. Check the schedule at www.chicago.whitesox.mlb.com.
- Visit Millennium Park. Located on Michigan Avenue just a couple blocks south of the Hyatt, this is a masterpiece of urban greenspace, architecture and public art. If you’re feeling overstimulated by all the great conference information, a breath of fresh air will clear the cobwebs.
- Coffee fiends should take note of the two Loop locations of Intelligentsia (53 E. Randolph and 53 W. Jackson). Real coffee geeks should check out La Colombe Torrefaction (955 W Randolph).
- Unwind at The Big Bar. The Hyatt’s lobby bar is big in every way, and it’s become a favorite gathering spot for attendees every time the hotel has hosted our event. After hours during HOW Design Live you’ll find clusters of designers swapping client war stories and talking shop—order a drink of your choice and join them!