Martha Stewart’s first creativity app brings paper crafting and design to the iPad. Developed in partnership with Happy, CraftStudio features Snapfish by HP as its exclusive launch sponsor and is now available in the App Store.
Happy, developers of interactive apps exclusively for iOS (co-founded by Nicholas Callaway and Ellen Johnston, originally of Callaway Digital Arts), say that CraftStudio brings the physical paper-crafting world of scrapbooking, memory-keeping, and photo-embellishment to life on the iPad: “the app allows crafters and non-crafters of all ages and skill levels to create and customize digital cards, invitations, thank-you notes, scrapbook pages, keepsakes, and more.”
Using photos from their digital library, an array of colored and patterned “paper” backgrounds, stickers, stamps, glitter, textured borders, fonts, and punches, users can customize their designs for any occasion. And with Snapfish, creations can be uploaded for professional printing.
“One of our core values is to elevate the moments that make every day special, and with CraftStudio we have digitized that Martha Stewart secret sauce that combines inspiration and instruction, tools and toys so that everyone can enjoy the fun of crafting,” says Gael Towey, the chief integration and creative director at Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. “In this day of instant sharing and personalization, users can do just that with the cards and keepsakes they create—without getting glitter on the rug! It’s sure to spark hours of creative activity.”
The CraftStudio app is available free for a limited time from the App Store on the iPad or here. The app includes four themed bundles: Everyday, Birthday Party, Doily Lace, and Nature. Additional bundles can be purchased for $1.99 each. Here’s a full list of features:
- Instructional how-to videos featuring tips from Martha Stewart.
- Ability to share creations digitally via email, Facebook, and Twitter.
- Ability to create high-quality prints at home using AirPrint technology.
- Ability to upload designs to Snapfish for professional printing via online-to-retail or mail-order – perfect for holiday cards, save-the-dates, invitations, and announcements.
- Photo Library integration that allows users to import photos directly from the iPad and save designs back to Photos.
- An extensive assortment of colored and patterned “paper” backgrounds, stickers, stamps, glitter, textured borders, fonts, and punches inspired by the Martha Stewart Crafts product line.
- Four introductory themed bundles: Everyday, Birthday Party, Doily Lace, and Nature.
- Five additional themed bundles of punches, papers, stickers, and glitter available via In-App Purchase featuring seasonal and occasional motifs: Elegant Celebrations, Spring, Outdoors, Vacation Adventure, and Summer Fun.
- Galleries of inspiring designs created by the editors at Martha Stewart Living.
For more Steven Heller, don’t miss his upcoming DesignCast, “Researching Design History: From a Personal Perspective,” streaming live on Wednesday, June 27.