The 2014 Regional Design Annual has arrived! This 34th Regional Design Annual showcases the very best work of 2014 from all corners of the United States, including web design, self-promotion, ad campaigns, book cover design and much more. View the winners of the 2014 Regional Design Annual here.
The categories for the 2014 Regional Design Annual are:
- Far West: Judged by Michael Vanderbyl, who has gained international prominence in the design field as a practitioner, educator, critic and advocate
- Southwest: Judged by Caleb Bennett, currently the design director of Wired and formerly an art director of The New York Times Magazine and Texas Monthly
- Midwest: Judged by Joseph Duffy, design director at Duffy & Partners, where he works with some of the best talent in the industry and with some of the biggest brands around the globe
- South: Judged by Alexander Isley, whose design firm creates identity and communication design for education, entertainment and enterpris, with clients including The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Giorgio Armani and the National
Endowment for the Arts
- East: Judged by Jessica Helfand, a designer, writer, educator and co-founder of Winterhouse, an award-winning design consultancy focused on publishing and online media, cultural and educational institutions, and design for
- New York City: Judged by Debbie Millman, president of the design division at Sterling Brands and the designer behind global brands including Pepsi, P&G, Colgate, Nestle, Hasbro and many others
Also in this issue:
Best Book Covers of 2014
As these five designs prove, sometimes you really can judge a book by its cover.
- Online Exclusive: 19 of the Best Book Covers of 2014
B.S. and Buzzwords
Stefan Sagmeister took a bold stance against designers labeling themselves as “storytellers,” sparking an industry-wide debate. Rick Poynor explains why we should challenge how we define our work.
Best Album Covers of 2014
These 6 covers detail the evolution of the form and its future—and how designers are taking it there through both throwbacks and contemporary minimalism.
Type Trends 2014
As Paul Shaw explains, the winning Regional Design Annual entries showcased in this issue embody much more than meets the eye: They’re a concise survey of the most popular typography trends of the year.
Best App Designs of 2014
From the simply gorgeous to the addictive, savor four of the year’s best art-infused interactive apps.
- Online Exclusive: See the full review of the Monument Valley App.
Survival of the Fittest
Steven Heller offers a brief, not-exactly-Darwinian
evolution of the graphic design annual.