Say, What’s a Flong?

Posted inThe Daily Heller
Thumbnail for Say, What's a Flong?

Does anyone know what “flong” means? I bet you don’t know what a “pop test” is?

I enjoy collecting antique terms, especially for the design and printing fields. I take impish joy asking young students what “leading” means and how it was derived. Or what a “cut” is and how it got its name.

I savor old professional dictionaries, like the one here, of printing and graphic arts terms. Most of the terminology is on the verge of becoming obsolete. Read these pages and see how many terms you use — or know.

Incidentally, “flong” is “a moist mixture of paper-mache which, when impressed and dried beomes the matrix or negative.” “Pop test?” Figure that one out for yourself.