PRINTCast: The PRINT Podcast Studio is a curated collection of cutting-edge podcasts we love about design, creativity, branding, books, and further subjects afield. Here’s the latest episode of Evolve CPG, a podcast about innovative leaders who are evolving the Consumer Packaged Goods industry by building better products and better brands to imagine a better world.
Throughout a person’s career, they acquire many skills beneficial to entrepreneurism. Recognizing those skills creates fantastic opportunities to pursue your passions and follow your dreams.
In this episode, we talk to Lex Evan, the Founder, CEO, and chef of the first conscious and sustainable bakery. Lexington Bakes is a luxury bakeshop creating decadent, handmade desserts using consciously sourced ingredients.
In our conversation, we hear about his experience building brands, why he decided to start selling baked goods, how they constantly sell out despite the price, and his commitment to using only consciously sourced ingredients. We also discuss what he has learned from previous leadership roles, arrogance as an antidote for imposter syndrome, how design and marketing strategies have changed for global brands, and insider details about Lexington Bakes. Tune in and discover how to leverage your experiences to pursue your passions with Lex Evan!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Background about Lex and Lexington Bakes.
- How his past work experience prepared him for the CPG space.
- He shares where his inclination for leadership originated.
- We unpack what it takes to be an effective leader.
- The difference between arrogance and confidence as a business owner.
- His experience working at Johnson & Johnson and the lessons learned.
- Why Lex decided to leave his job and start a food company.
- Reasons why he chose to sell baked goods over skincare products.
- What makes Lexington Bakes products different from other baked goods.
- Find out why a square cookie is better than a round cookie.
- Learn tips for communicating a brand effectively to consumers.
- Lex explains why his products sell out despite the high price.
- Discover how a higher price point can help build a brand.
- How to build trust in your brand: transparency.
- Advice that Lex has for people considering starting their own company.