The core essence of Print’s RDA is the regional aspect. Each of the six regions (East, Far West, Southwest, South, Midwest and New York City) culls in projects of all stripes, from website designs and identity systems to packaging designs and 3D objects. All of the winners, regardless of project type, are chosen by esteemed judges and displayed prominently alongside one another in both the magazine and in a stunning online gallery.
I’m a sucker for cool packaging designs, so as I flipped through each regions’ winners from the 2013 RDA, my eyes were pleased with what I saw. What really stood out to me were the ways that designers were letting handcrafted type take center stage in their packaging work. This has been a growing trend in the design field at large for quite some time, but the pages of the RDA displayed shining packaging design examples of this at its best. Take a look below at 10 stunning packaging winners from this year’s regional design awards.
Don’t miss your opportunity to have your work seen by thousands. Enter the RDA today!
1. RAHAL FARMS EGGS PACKAGINGDESIGN FIRM Anderson Design Group (Nashville, TN) CREATIVE DIRECTOR Joel Anderson ART DIRECTOR/DESIGNER/ILLUSTRATOR Ligia Teodosiu WRITER Kelly Bainbridge CLIENT Rahal Farms
2. RUPA & THE APRIL FISHES “BUILD” CD PACKAGING DESIGN FIRM White Bicycle (Buffalo, NY) CREATIVE DIRECTOR/DESIGNER/ILLUSTRATOR Brian Grunert CREATIVE DIRECTOR Rupa Marya DESIGNERS Kyle Morrissey, Casey Kelly PHOTOGRAPHER Dagen Merrill WRITER The April Fishes CLIENT Rupa & the April Fishes
3. ECONOMICS FOR EVERYBODY, PACKAGINGDESIGN FIRM Metaleap Creative (Atlanta) CREATIVE DIRECTOR/ART DIRECTOR Jose Reyes DESIGNER Tiffany Forrester ILLUSTRATOR Jon Contino CLIENT Ligonier Ministries
4. HOT BREAD KITCHEN IDENTITY/PACKAGINGDESIGN FIRM Pentagram Design CREATIVE DIRECTOR/ART DIRECTOR/DESIGNER Abbott Miller DESIGNERS Kristen Spilman, Kim Walker CLIENT Hot Bread Kitchen
5. MARIA’S BEER PACKAGINGDESIGN FIRM Franklyn CREATIVE DIRECTOR/ART DIRECTOR/DESIGNER/WRITER Michael Freimuth WRITER Caroline Donofrio CLIENT Maria’s Packaged Goods & Community Bar
6. DOVELY PACKAGINGDESIGN FIRM Yiu Studio (Seattle) CREATIVE DIRECTOR/ART DIRECTOR Henry Yiu DESIGNER Stephanie Laursen DESIGNER/ILLUSTRATOR Ariel Nay CLIENT Dovely Handcrafted Goods
7. SIGNATURE VIN WINE PACKAGINGDESIGN FIRM Matthew Terdich (Chicago) CLIENT University of Illinois at Chicago
8. INFORMATION GRAPHIC TINS DESIGN FIRM Fossil (Richardson, TX) CREATIVE DIRECTOR Stephen Zhang ART DIRECTOR Dustin Wallace DESIGNER Maria Carlson CLIENT Fossil
9. PUBLIX PRIVATE-LABEL FROZEN NOVELTIES, PACKAGINGDESIGN FIRM Publix Creative Services (Lakeland, FL) CREATIVE DIRECTOR Brian Chambers ART DIRECTOR/DESIGNER Jaime Mejía PHOTOGRAPHER Dave Spataro WRITER
10. METHOD + ORLA KIELY LIMITED EDITION COLLECTION, PACKAGINGDESIGN FIRM method in-house creative team and Orla Kiely creative team (San Francisco, CA) CREATIVE DIRECTOR Salle Clarke CREATIVE DIRECTOR
/PATTERN MARKER Orla Kiely ART DIRECTOR/DESIGNER/ILLUSTRATOR Deena Keller PRODUCTION ARTIST Stephen Seche PACKAGING ENGINEER Doug Howard PHOTOGRAPHER Steve Epstein WRITER Alexis Vogelgesang CLIENTS method Products PBC, Orla Kiely, Target
Want to see your work showcased in Print? Enter the Regional Design Awards now!
“We enter work almost every year to measure ourselves against the rest of the country, and to promote our firm. Winning feels great. Having our projects selected by respected judges validates our work, since most of us always got picked LAST in gym class.” — Joel Anderson, Anderson Design Group (Rahal Farms Egg Packaging shown above)